Changing up your wheels after obtaining a new car is one of the most common vehicle modifications people make. But for some people, getting non-factory wheels ends up causing problems. The main reason for this is because people get them for the wrong reasons. But if they are purchased knowledgeably, aftermarket wheels can be a benefit rather than a curse.
Drawbacks to Aftermarket Wheels
In addition to the cost, one of the most common drawbacks to aftermarket wheels is that they have a negative impact on the quality of your car’s ride. This is especially true if the buyer tries to get bigger wheels because of their visual flair. According to Road & Track
, bigger wheels usually mean thinner tire sidewalls, which leads to a less smooth ride. What people should be going for instead of size is the weight of the wheels instead.
Every car’s weight is divided into two categories: sprung and unsprung. Sprung refers to the weight held up by the suspension. The unsprung weight refers to anything that is unsupported. In addition to your wheels, this includes the vehicle’s axles, differentials, and brakes. If you increase this weight with heavy aftermarket wheels, you can expect your car to slow down as a result. There are other effects as well. Adding to the unsprung weight of a vehicle makes it more difficult for your car to keep the vehicle’s tires on the pavement. This leads to worse handling and even poorer fuel economy. It can also hamper accelerations and increase braking distance. This is why lighter-than-stock wheels are better if you are getting them aftermarket.
The Pros to Aftermarket Wheels
- All that said, there are still advantages to aftermarket wheels if you choose wisely, including:
- Improving the look of your vehicle. Investing in new rims and wheels is one of the best ways to give your car a custom look. With them, your vehicle is sure to stand out from the crowd. You have a ton of different options available, so you can find the perfect set for your exclusive taste.
- Increasing the resale value of your vehicle. A new set of wheels can also make your vehicle more attractive for potential buyers when it comes time to sell. This could translate into more money in your pocket.
- Making an affordable investment. For most people, adding custom wheels and tires is a pretty affordable investment. Depending on the type of rims you decide on, you can sometimes get a complete set—with new tires—for under a thousand bucks.
- Improving a vehicle’s maneuverability. Depending on how you handle your vehicle, or want to handle it rather, new custom wheels can be a big improvement. Some wheels are specifically designed for street racing or off roading, so you should definitely get the advice of the pros depending on your goals. Be sure to speak with the custom wheel experts at Mile High Wheels about which options are right for you.
Contact Mile High Wheels for Your Aftermarket Tires
Do you want to make your vehicle uniquely yours? Enhance your ride with custom wheels. Give us a call at Mile High Wheels to make an appointment. We are open seven days a week